COVID-19 and Your Workplace
Preventing the spread of COVID-19 in your industrial workplace is the best way to ensure that your workplace is safe and you have a job to show up to tomorrow.
We’re living in a world that isn’t the same as it was before COVID-19. The COVID-19 disease is caused by a virus and can be quickly and easily spread from person to person, wreaking havoc on industrial workplaces where there are large amounts of workers all working closely together. The good news is that there are some simple and easy steps that you can follow to ensure that your workplace is less likely to experience an outbreak of COVID-19.
- 1.Practise Good Hand Hygiene – One of the easiest ways for you to prevent the spread of COVID-19 is to practice good hand hygiene. Regardless of COVID-19, employees should be regularly washing their hands with hot soapy water for a minimum of 20-30 seconds throughout the day, but especially before and after eating, using the bathroom, sneezing, or coughing, or entering common areas such as change rooms and lunchrooms. If hot water and soap are hard to spread around large industrial sites, hand sanitizer is a great option, and it can be easily placed in a variety of different locations around your worksite and even in company vehicles.
- 2.Clean Your Workstation or Equipment Regularly – If you share a workstation or piece of equipment with other employees, always give it a thorough clean down at the start and end of your shift. Sanitizing wipes are a great way to clean any surface areas and ensure that your workstation is ready for the next person. Think of any surfaces that are high touch, like doorknobs, windows, desks, controls, levers, and desk surfaces.
- 3.Cover Your Mouth When Sneezing or Coughing – If you must sneeze or cough, then cover your mouth with your upper sleeve, avoiding your hand. If you do cover your mouth with your hand, then always ensure that you’re sanitizing or washing your hands immediately after before you touch any surfaces.
- 4.If You’re Sick, then Stay Home – The best way to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in your workplace is to stay at home if you’re sick until after you confirm whether you’re positive. If it turns out that you’re negative, you could have prevented the spread of a cold, and if you are positive to COVID-19, it means you would have exposed fewer of your workmates to COVID-19 and make any contact tracing easier.
- 5.If Possible, Wear Masks Or Face Coverings – If you can, wearing a facemask or covering is a great way to prevent the spread of many different cases of flu, including COVID-19. This isn’t always possible in all workplaces, but the CDC recommends wearing facemasks in any enclosed spaces where you cant maintain social distancing.
COVID-19 and Your Workplace – Conclusion
As with anything, education is the key to creating awareness and preventing the spread of COVID-19. Your local health authority is sure to have some great resources about COVID-19 and preventing the spread, which should be prominently displayed around the workplaces.
Educating your employees about preventing the spread and what to do if they think they may have COVID-19 is the best way to prevent an outbreak in your workplace.